5k Runners Let Loose on the Streets of Strongsville

Isaac Zabarsky, Journalist

Among the hustle and bustle of the cityscape in Strongsville, runners of all age groups were spotted running up streets and through neighborhoods. This was not some sort of special march or protest – it was the first annual “Train Like a Pro 5k” held by Strongsville High School. It was an exciting day for the participants of both the 5k and the Wellness Fair held afterward at the football stadium.

The 5k was a five kilometer run through a small portion of Strongsville. According to Leanne Karberg, a junior at Strongsville High School and the winner of her age bracket during the 5k, the race “started on the track, went down a road through a neighborhood, and then went down a backroad back to the football stadium.” For the 5k, there were prizes given to the top runners of each age group, and the fastest runners overall. Everyone from ages seven to 60 participated, with mostly adults and older people running.

After the runners finished jogging down the streets and crossed the finish line, there was the Wellness Fair at the football stadium. The Wellness Fair had many booths from different organizations that promoted their methods and products to improve some aspect of health. For example, some groups gave out healthy foods, and another group gave massages.

Leanne certainly enjoyed her day, and she encourages others to take part in the 5k and Wellness Fair in future years. “Just try it,” she states, “it is not anything competitive. It is really cool to be informed on how you can better yourself and how you can be healthier, so it is for anyone.” With all age groups being represented on Saturday, hopefully there will be more events like this in the future. A community 5k is the type of motivation that some people need to get outside and do some form of physical activity to care for their health.