• May 24Final Day of School
  • May 20Finals Week
  • May 19Commencement
The Student News Site of Strongsville High School

The Lantern

The Lantern

The Lantern

Poll

This poll has ended.

What was your favorite class this year?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

A Modern Classic: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

About: Are you the “odd” one left out of social interactions? If so, Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is for you! This realistic fiction book is uniquely formatted from Charlie, the protagonist’s point of view. Each chapter consists of a letter that Charlie writes to an anonymous source, describing his freshman year at Sadie Hawkins high school. Set in 1991, the novel presents Charlie’s liminal moments, such as, grieving Aunt Helen’s death, gaining new friends, and even stepping out of his comfort zone. Despite the fact that Charlie’s future is starting to look positive, dark memories buried deep from his past come crashing down threatening to ruin his current state of mind. 

Review: 8/10

Wallflower- a person who from shyness or unpopularity remains on the sidelines of a social activity. This Merriam Webster Dictionary definition perfectly describes Charlie’s roller coaster of a life. I was drawn to this book originally because of a review I read on google and let me say it did not disappoint! From his peculiar characters to intense emotional situations, author Stephen Chbosky creates what I believe to be an accurate yet dramatized scene of teenage life. However, despite all the applause this book deserves I have a few critiques. In my opinion, some of the letters were boring and drawn out as opposed to a more concise style proven to hold a reader’s attention. Aside from that I can say this story honestly was a masterpiece; beautifully written to manipulate the emotions of readers and make you feel so deeply for characters you have never met. Even through the slow parts I encourage readers to continue reading and FINISH THE BOOK! The ending has one of the quickest and most shocking plot twists in history that flips this conventional story upside down. This story is perfect for teens looking for a seemingly light story with hidden messages and I recommend it to anyone who has ever felt like a wallflower in life.