• May 24Final Day of School
  • May 19Commencement
  • May 3Prom
The Student News Site of Strongsville High School

The Lantern

The Lantern

The Lantern

Football Fiasco

Regardless of the high school attended, Friday Night Lights are a must. With organized themes, school-wide unity, and the potential of a roaring victory, football nights bring a joy unlike any other. Seniors await their chance to cheer in the front while freshmen get booed up into the rear end of the stands. With chalk thrown at games, the concessions bought to feed starving stomachs, and the chants sung in harmony, football season binds the student body together.

The end of a football season always brings sadness to the Strongsville community. However, the end of this season brought more grief than usual. Strongsville City Schools announced their decision to not renew Head Coach Lou Cirino’s contract. No explanation has been given with the exception of the following statement from the superintendent of Strongsville City Schools: “The decision to not bring Coach Cirino back next season was not made solely on what occurred this season, but the cumulative impact of areas under his purview that were not meeting the standard set.” Theories on the basis of this dismissal range from the unfavorable outcomes of the past performances of the Mustangs to the unpermitted usage of narcotics displayed by the players overlooked by the coach to certain players’ recent theft of over $1000 from the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But alas, for now, the truth behind the discharge shall remain unknown.

This event has brought the community together to rally against the former coach’s termination. Alison Groleau, Strongsville business owner and football parent, created a petition in support and obtained just over 1700 signatures in favor of reinstatement. This show of strength was reflected at the Thursday board of education meeting as parents and students alike allied to persuade the board to bring back Coach Cirino. Yet, the board stood firm with their decision, citing the review of all seven years of the coach’s conduct leading up to the final verdict. This decision was not one made hastily, but rather a careful consideration lasting six weeks. Doctor Ryba acknowledges the demand for a second chance but asserts that the coach was given multiple opportunities to rise to the occasion. He holds all Mustang coaches to a higher standard and refuses to lower these standards for any individual. Although a controversial  decision, it is reassuring to know the board remains forever vigilant in the staff’s actions to ensure perfection.

Regardless of opinions of Coach Cirino and his performance, his presence will be missed deeply by the football and Strongsville community. For better or worse, Strongsville looks forward to a new football coach and the new beginning brought with them. Go Mustangs!